The dar patch when using the pop-up flash is likely to be when you are
using the lens at a wide angle.  The pop-up flash is quite low, so the
end of the lens/hood casts a shadow below the bas of the camera.  If the
lens is set to 28mm then it will possibly include some of this shadow
area in the frame.  If you set the lens to 70mm, then you will likely
not see ane of this area.  It has nothing to do with tilting the camera,
as the flash and lens are still in the same position relative to each
other.

Any external flash mounted on the hot shoe will sti a lot higher so
should not have the same problem.  There can still be a problem with
extreme wide angle lenses though, or particularly bulky ones.  This
should not be the case with the combo you have because I have this
lens/flash and never see it.  Mind you, I don't use the hood when I am
using flash - only use the hood occasionally when outside and rarely do
flash outside.  If you get something like the 17-35, which is quite big,
you may still get shadow problems though.

Finally bounce and wireless will be unlikely to cast a shadow from the
lens, but can get shadows depending what you point the flash at.  Point
it at the ceiling and you will generally be OK.  This could cast a
shadow under someone's chin though for example, because most of the
light may be coming from above, so point it at the ceiling at 45% and
pop out the little white reflector which will bounce a little of the
light direct at the subject to reduce this effect.  You will spend a lot
of time finding the best technique to suit you, and hopefully have a lot
of fun.