Some pairs are of objects that can also stand alone:
        Pair of hard boiled eggs.
        Pair of dancers.
        Pair of kidneys.
        Pair of salt & pepper shakers.
        Pair of hunters.

Some pairs are of objects that have no meaning alone:
        Pair of scissors. (Ever heard of one scissor?)
        Pair of pants. (Ever heard of one pant?)
        Pair of pliers. (Hand me the plier?)

Whee!!!

Regards,
Bob