On 19/9/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>What I mean is the limited lightvalues a film can take. It can soon be too
>light (my K2 only has 1/1000), but more sooner gets too dark to get any
>decent image on film. With a camcorder I can go till I have only the light
>of a matchstick. Of course the image changes in quality dramatically. But
>were I to be ready to take pictures in all of those extreme situations, I'd
>have to be carrying an awful lot of equipment and what's more, keep changing
>it to suit the situation.
>
>A digital camera can and has overcome these light problems. Bless them. That
>is certainly what I feel to be a very weak point of taking photographs.

When an artist picks up a pencil, will it be hard or soft? What informs
that judgement? Partly it is the feel of the work he/she is wanting to
produce, and how that work translates as a finished drawing. The artist
has to have the knowledge of the pencils, the chalk, the paint. That
technique has to be learned, it is not instinctive. The finished work
appears as instinct and expression and cannot be taught.

When a director makes a film, he has to know how to handle actors to get
the best out of them, as well as knowing how to handle the way the camera
records the scene, how it will look when finished, how he/she wants it to
look. That technique most definitely has to be learned. The finished work
appears as instinct and expression and cannot be taught.

When a photographer shoots with film, he or she has to know what film to
select, what lens to use, what exposure to set in order to record the
scene. Sometimes he or she will know how to develop and print the
picture. That technique must be learned. The resulting photograph is an
expression that cannot be taught.

When a photographer shoots digitally, he or she has to know all the
technique that the camera allows, has to understand the processing of
that image, the way it is delivered onto a medium of storage, and even
sometimes editing that image and printing it. Techniques learned. Results
expressions of self and ability and desire.

All these techniques involve tools, from carpentry to cake-making. They
are as easy or as difficult as you make them. They all involve effort in
studying the technical aspect. Art hurts!

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk