Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"tom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>they're 6 megs. When converted to 8 bit tiff, they're 18 megs.
>>
>>I thought a raw file was a sensor dump, and the size of the file
>>should correlate with the size of the sensor?
>
>It should: 12 bits (1.5 bytes) per pixel for cameras that do 12-bit RAW.

Just did some research on the web. Canon RAW files are compressed using
a proprietary lossless compression algorithm. They claim it gets 9
megabytes of data into about 7 megs. Pretty limited compression but
you'd expect that with the kind of data you'd get in photographic
images. Now it makes sense :)

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing