Tom,

Your painting analogy is a good one.  Comparing digital to film is like
comparing Van Gogh to Botticelli.  Bottecelli is less grainy, but Van Gogh
has more emotion come through his work.  And brighter colours, too.  Does
any of that mean anything?  No!  You look, you experience, you like (or
dislike) each artist for what he did, without need to compare to the other.

All the test shots in the world don't necessarily tell us which format is
better than the other.  Obviously, film does some things really really
well.  Digital does some things really really well.  For most photographic
requirements, film and digital fill the bill quite nicely (except that
digital does it faster, in terms of no processing).

If I may be permitted another comparison (maybe one the JCO also has much
knowledge about).  In audio, CD's test way better than vinyl, in virtually
every way.  Yet there are those who say that vinyl still sounds better,
despite it's wear, surface noise, pops and clicks, etc.  There are some that
like CD's better.  Who's right?  Bottom line is, it doesn't matter what the
tests say, it's the real world listening that's important.

It isn't the winner of an artificial test that is necessarily going to
produce the best image ~for the purposes required~.

For my purposes, I'll continue with your economics, Tom.  I've already paid
for my cameras and lenses.  $2500 (*istD Canadian street price) buys a lot
of film and processing...

cheers,
frank

--
"What a senseless waste of human life"
-The Customer in Monty Python's Cheese Shop sketch