The advantage to a 50mm and teleconverter, it's very inexpensive and you'll
get relatively good results with something like the Vivitar macro focusing
teleconverter.  You will still loose resolution and contrast as opposed
to using a true macro.  If you intend to take images of 3d objects you might
even prefer to not use a non macro lens since they are optimized to produce a
flat field of focus, (real good for copying flat objects like maps and papers).
A real Macro lens will be much sharper.

At 08:36 PM 9/29/03 +0100, you wrote:
>>A macro lens won't help to improve the depth of field.  Your only
option here is to stop down more, use a tripod or flash.

Hmmm..ok, I can understand that. What are the differences then between a
(so called) 100mm and 200mm macro lens? Are there any particular
disadvantages to a 50mm lens & a x2 converter?

joel

I drink to make other people interesting.
-- George Jean Nathan