I have a good friend who lays claim to having coined the usage of 'gender'
rather than sex in this type of terminology. She is a feminist psychologist
(field being the psychology of women) and needed a term for some of her
papers and texts. This gives us something to argue over. Half a century ago,
we were both taught that sex refers to the male vs female of a species and
that gender is a gramatical term. After a few drinks, she will often agree
with me, but still be proud of having added something to English usage.

Larry