I have three of MX's all early versions with the metal film reminder frame. There
must a difference in the winders. The documentation I have shows that the winders
always turn on the meter weather the winder is on or not. Both winders I own exhibit
this behavior. You wouldn't happen to know when your winder was made, (early or late).
I'd really want one, (hell, I want one for each of my MX's), that works the way yours does!