I've had a lot of luck using photoshop's quadtone setting and then printing in color. Not exactly black and white, but monotone, and I find they look pretty good.

There's an article detailing the procedure at the Luminous Landscape, here's the link:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/duotone.shtml

I think it's worth a try, I've been happy with it.

-matt