Im not refering to the cheapie Canon Rebel digital,
the D60 is also less expensive than
the Pentax and is a highly rated camera.
I am a pentax fan for sure but I am not unaware that
Canon makes some of the most highly regarded
lenses made by anyone for 35mm. I dont think
Pentax makes nearly as many high end lenses as Canon
does.

As far as K & M go, Pentax has been fully supporting
them with AE and METERED manual on sub $300 SLR
cameras for the last 25 years, no EXCUSE for
a >$1500 model!!! Maybe a $150 entry level film
camera, certainly not a cutting edge camera costing over
10 times as much....

I own over a dozen PENTAX K&M lenses, all superb.
I own 1 (ONE) "A" type or later lens which will
work as it was designed on the istD. If I cant buy a Pentax
DSLR that wont cripple my K/M lenses, then there is
really no ecomonic reason to stick with pentax
in my mind. I would rather switch brands than stick
with a company that abandons their loyal customers
with a ridiculous lack of the basic aperture cam sensor
which has been on nearly every camera they have
made for the last 25 years, even the very low
end models. NO EXCUSES for a $1500 camera with a "K"
mount on it. If a "K" series lens aperture setting cant
be read by the camera, IT ISNT A KMOUNT lensmount.
Even the ancient late screwmount cameras had aperture
sensing in the body.

I dont need to "touch" an istD to know that the absurd
abandonment of the K/M full functionality exists.
I dont care how good it "feels" if my K/M lenses wont
work AS DESIGNED on it.  Hopefully, pentax will come
to their senses and offer the full K/M compatiblity
in future models ( At a higher price of course).

It seems that pentax has offered a budget model at
a premium price in the istD IMHO. Full frame, higher res.,
and K/M use will be something I would pay a
premium for thats for sure.  Maybe by the time
that comes out, it will be same price as the istD is
now...

   J.C. O'Connell   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://jcoconnell.com