Are you sure you are hu? I hope the nice policeperson gives you a ticket. Personkind has a ways to go before it becomes really intelligent.

Funny it is okay that a dog is a dog, and that a bitch is a dog. But not that a man is a man, and a woman (opps sorry, woperson) is is a man.

To me the only people who have a problem with words are people who have a problem with their self worth. In fact my best pick up line ever was, "Hi, my name is Tom, I'm a jerk". Am I really a jerk? Don''t know, don't care, but the lady didn't have much of a chance for a put-down after I said that(grin), and it always got a laugh.

I suggest folks who let words demean them read this article on my webpages http://meanderings.graywolfphoto.com/resent.html it might help.

And remember: You are not a word, you are you".

frank theriault wrote:

I think you're missing the point of inclusive language, Bob.

I don't think that it's censorship. No one is saying that I can't say "policeman". Least of all the government, or anyone else who has any authority over me.

What proponents of inclusive language (or PC, although I don't like that term, as it's become rather derisive over the years) are saying is, "why not use "police officer" instead? It's not (as I see it) a matter of ~telling~ you what you can't say, but rather suggesting a better alternative.

I think that using words such as police officer, firefighter, workers (rather than workmen), chair (rather than chairmen) is merely a polite recognition that both men and women are capable of performing those jobs. I really don't have a problem with that. But, maybe that's because I'm a father of three girls, and I'd like to think that they'll have more and better opportunities for good jobs, in part because the use of inclusive language raises awareness that there ought not to be gender barriers to any jobs.

Will use of inclusive language solve all the problems of the world? Of course not. But, it's a good starting place, and a real easy one, IMHO.

I just can't figure out why so many people have a problem with it! Maybe someone can clue me in on this one.

cheers,
frank