On the other hand, it is optically the best performer of all the lenses I
tested!

The 50/1.7 has better wide open sharpness while 50/1.4 has better bokeh. Nothing is perfect I guess.

That's the frustrating thing about the A lenses.  I had no end of
mechanical trouble with my 135 1.8 A* but in terms of optical performance
and handling I'd  rather have it than my 135 2.0 AIS Nikkor.

The problem with Pentax lenses is that they have been using different mechanical designs on their lenses. Some worked, some didn't.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan