On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Pentax has produced a fantastic digital camera, and at $1500 ($1700
> some places) US, is priced about right.  I don't like all this
> whining on the list re non-A lenses.  If you haven't bought a new
> lens since 1981, you are not keeping Pentax in business anyway.

You can buy lenses made since 1981 and still own older lenses and want
to use them.

My M lenses are the 40/2.8, 135/3.5, and 200/4.  None are
particularily expensive, but none of them get much use anyway (except
the 40/2.8, and I probably wouldn't care too much about using that on
the *ist D, the body is a little too big for such a tiny lens and the
A 24/2.8 that I own is a more useful prime normal lens for this
camera).  The 135/3.5 and 200/4 are lenses that I rarely use -- rarely
enough that I don't really want to replace them with FA or A
equivelents but often enough that I'd like to use them with metering.

I still bought the *ist D since I also own some nice A and FA lenses
(A 24/2.8, A 50/1.4, FA 50/1.7, FA 28-70/4, Tamron 90/2.5 with an A
adapter) and I look forward to buying the FAJ 16-45/4 when it comes
out.

I tend to prefer the A and M lenses because they have a better build
quality and feel better to me than the FA lenses (excluding the
limited lenses).  There are a lot of wonderful M primes on the used
market that would be nice to have the option of using on the *ist D.

alex