On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Cameron Hood wrote:
> Why on earth would they make a  14-54, a 14, a 14-48, and an 11-22
> available so early in their production? The 14-54 and 14-48 seem
> especially strange; mind you, Pentax and other companies do make about
> 600 variations of the 28-70/80/90, but these are not released together,
> but over a very long production run, and one seems to supercede the
> other. And they are really going to produce a rectilinear 10mm that
> will be reasonably affordable? That's impressive.

We don't know what the speeds of these lenses are.  It could be thatthe
14-48 is a f2 zoom and will be a high end unit while the current 14-54
will continue to be their less expensive default lens.

All of the 35mm manufacturers do something similar, offering a
28-80ish lens that is around f4 (often variable aperature) and a
28-80ish lens that is a fixed f2.8.

I hope that Pentax offers a DA long zoom.  I have my eye out for
something like a 100-300.  A DA 100~300 could be be faster than
the current FAJ 75-300 while remaining about the same size and
weight.  A 50-200 would be fine too and would fit in well with
the 16-45 lens that they are coming out with already.

alex