> one feature i would like to see in a digital camera is a portrait mode that
> would rotate the orientation of the sensor in the camera without rotating
> the camera.

Why?  It's an extra mechanical thing that could go wrong, and one which affects
the most critical element in the camera - the accurate positioning of the sensor.
Not to mention the fact that you'd also have to change the viewfinder, making
it a lot harder to put all the additional displays within your field of view.

I got quite a surprise when I used a Canon EOS-10d a few months ago; when I
copied the files onto my computer (using the same software I already had there
for my Canon G1 - full marks, Canon!) it automatically produced a second copy
of all my portrait shots, rotated to the correct orientation.  Apparently the
body has an orientation sensor.