> I would consider the new Tamron SP 28-75/2.8 which is $330 only.

Thanks Alan,

What do you know about this lens?
The Popphoto test results look pretty good.
Then why is it so cheap?
Have you heard any comments?

I have been considering to buy one lately buy haven't yet. From what I have read in the Japan CAPA magazine and based on the opinions of some asian users, it is a pretty good lens. The CAPA samples show that it has slightly worse light-fall-off than the Nikkor, but noticably better than the Tokina. Flare control is significantly better than the Tokina too due to the newer coating Tamron has used on this lens. AFAIK, this is f2.8 zoom can focus down to 0.33m, among the closest on the market, also the smallest & lightest (5xxg). It is also a pretty sharp lens and solidly built according to those users. However, AF is slow (what the users said). Why is it so cheap ($330)? Perhaps plastic has been used extensively? I really do not know. But I suppose it is a good deal so long as the lens won't fall apart with regular use in 3 years. Time will tell.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan