Okay, but...
A saved size of 17.3 MB sounds like it didn't save in .jpg but RAW!
Does Photoshop do something to an imported image that would account for
that massive increase in file size?
The poster said the file size of each downloaded and saved image file, I
assume on his computer, was between 1.9 and 3.02 megs. That sounds about
right for an as-recorded jpeg image, doesn't it? One saved with
absolutely minimal compression? Or, is there such a thing with jpegs?
Saved with essentially no compression?

Just wondered... Trying to find something I understand...

keith whaley