> Fra: alex wetmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Matt Bevers wrote:
> > This of course doesn't mean that taking a B&W photo on a 6MP camera
> > results in a 2MP file.
>
> If you are using a red, blue, or green filter it effectively does.
> Only it is a little worse for red and blue and better for green (there
> are 1.5 million red and blue pixels and 3 million green ones).
>
> If you are using no filter when desaturating then you are getting
> more pixels.
>
> It would be nice if one could buy a B&W only digital camera that
> didn't have the color filter in front of the CCD.  I don't believe it
> is easily possible to remove just the color filter though...I think it
> is manufactured in a single unit along with the CCD.
>
> alex

There is an additional thing here:  There is a difference in colour resolution and
luminence resolution.  As the filters are not able to completely block out the other
colours you may argue that your desaturated image is a true 6MP image.  From what I
understand the takes this into account when calculating the image.

DagT