edwin posted, among many other things:
> The more I think about the idea of "perfect" exposure the more I think it
> is an almost useless, unattainable concept.
>
> The initial comment was that despite the supposed exposure latitude of
> negative films, an exposure a half stop off of "perfect" would result in
> a "compromised" final print, based on test results.

As I recall, the comment provoking much of that was that HCB could eyeball
perfect exposure, and then someone said with b&w film experienced photographers
could get close enough to make printable images.

I'm nowhere near the age, experience level or fame level of HCB, but when in my
early teens I used to use a rangefinder with no built-in meter; mostly I used a
handheld but sometimes I didn't want to use the handheld and I'd set the
exposure based on experience. And I would get printable images.

Seems to me I've heard that among HCB's peculiarities is allowing only one
printer to do his work; if that's the case, how many others besides HCB and his
one particular printer have seen his negatives, and know how far off ideal
exposure they may be?

IOW, if a 15-year-old amateur with an older Voigtlander can expose B&W well
enough for printing without using a meter, how much more so HCB with plenty of
experience and the presumably more-precise shutter mechanism of a Leica? No
surprise there at all, I think.