Hi,

> Yeah, that's the jobbie.  Its not that it is amazingly expensive, just expensive for
> something that you only use once in a while.  Also, I have an LCD at home and want
> the version which works with
> that, plus I want to calibrate the printer - so £300 for something I use maybe once
> a year (if that) hurts a little.  I think I would possibly go for it in time anyway,
> but due to the nature of its
> use, it really seemed to lend itself to being shared by a group.  If even 2 or 3 of
> us were interested in sharing a set then the price saving would be quite dramatic
> and unlike a lens, you would
> still benefit from it after you had passed it on.  Get it back in 6 months or a year
> after it has done the rounds and recheck you cals would be fine.

> Have you used the printer tool too?  How much difference did you find it made to
> you?  I guess some will get lucky and find they had a good calibration before use.
> Do you have the OptiCal version
> or the PhotoCal one?

I have the Photocal spider for an LCD display. It cost slightly over
£100-. I bought it a few months ago but to be honest I haven't used it
yet. I intend to use it when I've bought a decent photo printer, which
won't be for some time, so I can do the whole thing end-to-end. I also
have a calibration slide, also unused, for my scanner.

Theoretically, when it's all done, and I have the right paper &
pigment profiles, I should be able to put a slide in at one end and
get a nicely matching print out at the other with no need at all for
me to make any colour-blind eyeball judgements.

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]