The things you learn on this list!!  <vbg>

thanks, Butch,
frank

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist
fears it is true."  -J. Robert Oppenheimer

>From: "Butch Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<snip>
>Major General Joseph Hooker was head of the Army of the Potomac during the
>American civil war. A large group of courtesans traveled with the army and
>got dubbed Hooker's girls, eventually shortened to hookers.

A funny story, it may be urban legend:

Apparently, some of the late general's relatives live in Connecticut. One
applied for a vanity license with the family name, and was denied (for
obvious reasons) They then sued the state for the right to have that plate
stating that it was an honorable name and a historical figure. I don't know
if they won or not, but can you imagine letting your teen age daughter
borrow the family minivan with a license plate HOOKER on it :)

Butch

Each man had only one genuine vocation - to find the way to himself.

Hermann Hesse (Demian)