On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Shel Belinkoff wrote:
> alex wetmore wrote:
> > Unless you use RAW.  RAW bypasses most of the processing on the camera
> > and allows you to do the processing on your PC.
>
> RAW is what the camera produces.  A Canon will produce a different looking
> RAW file than a Nikon or a Pentax. RAW, in your own words, "bypasses most of
> the processing on the camera."  Most means not all.
>
> If you've not already tried it, grab a few different cameras that use RAW,
> take the same shot under the same conditions (don't forget to use your
> tripod <g>) and then compare the images.  According to you, they should be
> the same.  Do the experiment, and let us know what results you've come up
> with.  In fact, post 'em so we can make up our own minds.

I did not say that they would be the same.  The CCDs in the cameras
are different and obviously there is some processing done in just
acquiring the image from the CCD.

This doesn't mean that RAW gives one many more processing alternatives
than using the JPEG.  This is not much different then being able to
get many different results from Tri-X depending on which developer one
used and if they pushed or pulled the processing of the film or not.

alex