On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Chris,
>
> You have clarified several considerations that had been floating through my
> mind.

Glad to hear.  Looking back on what I wrote, if you're interested in
finding out its market value, instead of asking people on the
rec.photo.marketplace.35mm group to make offers on it, you can probably
get a better (and more ethical) result by just asking them for their
opinion, or for how much they would consider paying for one if they found
it.

> But this prototype Vivitar is not, in absolute terms,one of a kind.
> According to the buyer, the serial number suggests it was one of the first
> (or only) 10 made and labeled as such.

Still, 10 existing copies isn't very much at all.

> Yes, Chris, the buyer wants the lens "badly," and now that I've
> no-less-than promised that we'll come to terms at $200 to $250, there's no
> turning back without hanging my head in shame. I can virtually guarantee
> that this buyer will not turn around and resell it. I made it clear to him,
> when I first wrote to him about the lens, that I would not sell it to him
> unless he planned to keep it.

Well, then everyone wins.  You make money on the transaction, he gets an
incredibly rare lens for a great price, and you get the satisfaction of
being nice to him.  Too bad he doesn't appreciate it more.  :)

> Believe me, if I thought that I was cheating my family out of a $1,000
> bounty, I wouldn't have let the bargaining figure settle at $250 or less. I
> could be wrong, of course. As you point out, Chris, one really doesn't know
> until he floats the offer out on EBay once or twice. Now, it looks as if
> we'll never know.

Ask around on rec.photo.marketplace or rec.photo.marketplace.35mm.

chris