Rob,

I think you're right.  It's similar to laptop computers, where $2,000 was the
entry level price point in the USA for 5 years, from the 486 chip era to the
Celeron introduction.  Only recently have prices fallen.

Honestly, the P&S digitals will be all that the mass market really wants or
needs.  Digital SLR's will be $1,500 for a long time.  And the price of a good
film SLR will go up, and film will be here for a long time... some folks just
don't have computers so they will never go digital.

Regards,  Bob S.