On Sunday, Nov 23, 2003, at 05:28 America/New_York, Greg Lovern wrote:

I'd like to mount a second flash on a simple bracket, link the two flashes with a short cord,
and have the second flash both fire and stop when the primary flash
(either in TTL mode, or in one of its auto modes) fires and stops.

I like some of the brackets I see at

http://www.camerastore.com/dl_cat_E/-E07_flashbrk.html

You may want to consider putting one of the flash units off-camera on a lighting stand with one of these adaptors:

http://www.camerastore.com/dl_cat_F/-F07a_lsa.html

I use one that looks like DL-0316.

As for TTL operation, I don't know if it's possible with your Vivitar and then it depends on what lighting ratios you want to achieve between the master and slave flash(es). I think even with a TTL setup and Pentax flashes, the contrast-control feature doesn't let you specify the lighting ratio. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

It helps very much to have a handheld flash meter.

--jc