> I wanted to see what it could do. In Raw mode, the answer is 5 frames.
> Then it pauses for a long time before you can take another. I assumed
> that this was due to the size of the buffer, so I tried it in Tiff mode.
> Again, it shot 5 consecutive frames before it had to pause to catch its
> breath. This means that the buffer holds at least 85 mb.

A questionable assumption.  The buffer almost certainly holds the images in
a format very close to raw mode, before any time has been spent processing.
It's probably fairly close to 64MB in size (5 x 12MB, plus settings).

The conversion to the selected output mode (plus adding thumbnail images)
will take place as the images are read from the buffer and written out to
the CF card.