Older automatic flashs give you 1, 2, or 3 possible f-stops. The smaller f-stops give you less distance. You set the selected f-stop on the camera to the one the flash gives for that film. When there is enough light the flash shuts off. It give correct exposure as long as you are no beyond the maximum distance for that f-stop. A dedicated flash automatically sets the ME Super's shutter to the X sync speed when you turn it on.

There are special circumstances, like fill flash when you have to know how to trick the flash to give good results, that are fairly easy on a fancy TTL flash, but mostly the plain old auto flashes work well.