Stan Halpin wrote:

> on 12/04/03 2:29 PM, Ann Sanfedele at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

> > I bought the audio tape used and played it for
> > myself, wonderful stuff -- maybe
> > was the extra push to get me to GFM   - but, but
> > ... the cover of the 4 cassette
> > box  was apparently designed by someone who thinks
> > all bears and trees look alike.
> >
> > It is on ebay now  but here is the link just to
> > the cover - and you tell me where you
> > think this picture (or composite of two pictures)
> > was taken.
> >
> > http://users.rcn.com/annsan/walkinthewoods.jpg
> >
> > annsan
> >

> The same photo was on the cover of the book. It looks more Northern
> California or Northwest to me.
>
> Since about 32 years ago when I moved to Northern Virginia, I have been
> fascinated by the AT. I have hiked quite a few segments (mostly Virginia,
> some Maryland, a little in North Carolina, quite a bit in New Hampshire). I
> must say that along the trail you can expect to see some pretty varied flora
> and fauna... For a couple of years in the early '80's before we moved to
> Missouri, my wife and I maintained a 2-mile stretch of the trail near the
> North end of the Sky Line Drive. Even that small segment had interesting
> topography, variation in forest cover, etc. But it didn't look like the
> cover of Bryson's book.
>
> Stan

YUp - that was what I thought
I've been up and down the Skyline drive and Blue Ridge a nubmer of times,
have camped in sundry locations along the way and spent the night on
Mt. La Conte back in the late 60's.  Have been in both N. Calif and the
Smoky Mountains in the last 2 years... I was pretty sure that book cover
was bogus.

annsan