This is a good numbering system, similar to the one I
use. I'd like to suggest a small addition, which I have
found to help me out. At the beginning of each
string of numbers I have a letter indicating which
camera I used. For my PZ-1p, the letter is Z, the LX
gets X.

Since I tend to shoot different types of photo with
these two cameras, knowing the letter designation
immediately narrows the search when I'm looking for a
specific photo, and should any problems show up in the
photos, I'll know which camera is at fault.

Doug "other organizational efforts are largely
theoretical" Brewer

Quoting "Provencher, Paul M."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> There are a number of "systems" but the most important
thing is that you do
> it on an ongoing basis.  That allows you to manage it
in smaller chunks and
> to record the info at a time that you are more likely
to remember it.

> Aside from storage and retrieval systems, which I
think are best left to
> personal preference, I like to use a numbering system
that I learned in a
> lab.  It is good because it encodes useful data, is
scaleable, and easy to
> use.
>
> Basically start with the date noted as YYMMDD, then
add on the roll number
> for that day in the format NN where NN is a two digit
number using leading
> zeros, and finally the frame number, again in the NN
format.  A typical
> number would look like this:
>
> 010321-01-05 - The fifth frame of the first roll shot
on March 21, 2001.
> Since the number of digits should not change (if you
routinely shoot more
> than 99 rolls of film or more than 99 frames on a roll
you may want to add
> digit to these components)
>
> Just by reading the number of the image, I can
immediately determine when
> it
> was shot and which roll etc.
>
> ppro