Because when you're still shooting film you think that full frame
sensor is going to be important, and even though I couldn't justify
the cost at that time (still can't), it's nice to know the option is
there.

Also, at the time people seemed to think Canon IS was a little more
advanced, it's available in more lenses, and most of their lenses have
USM.

Plus they have that 24-70/2.8 which is pretty nifty.

tv