Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:50:21 +1100
From: "Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Panoramic Mode

"Hi,"

Hey Paul!

"This is probably a really stupid question but it has been playing on my =
mind for a while."

hehe.

"I have an MZ-5n which as most of you know has a panoramic format.  My =
question is how exactly does this work bearing in mind the standard 35mm =
frame size.  Does the image spread over two frames or is the effect =
created during the processing stage? =20

Also I have read in magazines that the same effect can be acheived by =
taking the usual image then cropping top and bottom followed by an =
enlargement of the remaining elongated image.  Is one way better than =
the other?"

You answered the question yourself Paul, I could be wrong, but I am certain
that the MZ-5n works the same as the PZ-1p, in that they both have what is
referred to as a "panoramic mask" whereby as you said yourself, the top and
bottom of the neg are cropped off to create an elongated image.  It only
uses
the standard one neg. and therefore, I personally believe that its just a
clever
little marketing trick.  Your negative in effect becomes even smaller than
35mm
and as such, of course when enlarging to a size proportionate to say a 5x7,
you
really need to enlarge maybe to a 6x8 - of course, this would result in loss
of
detail if you were to enlarge too much, and anyways, it is nothing you can't
do
yourself with a pair of sharp scissors and a ruler.  Hope I don't sound too
cynical,
I've had a bad day, actually, make that a TRAGIC day, and read my post to
follow....