You apparently didn't pick up on what I was saying.
Ignore everything else for a moment.
The weather bureau(s) have been tracking incoming along the southeastern
coast of the U.S. and they have DOCUMENTED increasingly larger and more
powerful storms in the past decade or less. Annually!
Yes, it's short term, but it seems to have exhibited a shift toward
really strong storms. Record busters!
Something accounts for that.
It's a most definite  change for the more powerful storms.
What do you do, point at one year of powerful storms, and say, "Gee,
that was a beaut." A phenomenon. A statistical anomaly.
Then next year rolls around, and lo and behold. . . yet another doozy!
Two doesn't make a statistical bump in anything, so it's essentially
ignored, right. Means nothing in the long run.

But, somewhere, some meteorologist is saying, "I've been watching this
stuff for years and years. This sort of thing is starting to make a
trend. Sure, a short baseline, but nothing one wants to ignore. These
have been storm-of-the-century style storms! Nothing to make light of!
Year after year!"

What do you want to do? Wait for the next thousand years to set a long
term trend? Then you can say with a great deal more certainty, "Yup!
Those were indeed record breaking storms we had at the beginning of the
21st Century!"

keith