Tanya Mayer wrote:

> You know what - in this instance, I think I believe the poor
> guy.  I still wouldn't part with any $$$ BUT, it does make me
> wonder if he wasn't completely genuine.  I would say that his
> main mistake was listing without a reserve price, having had
> no feedback.

There some people out there trying to make a fast buck. I have to say that
zero feedback alone would make me not want to bid, let alone the further
complications you highlight. Of course a lot of feedback isn't really what
it says. Graywolf already pointed this out that most 'positive' comments are
really neutral, not bad, just what you would expect from a deal. Because I
want a positive record, I'm just as guilty for giving positive feedback!

I followed a recent sale of a non-mu 67 and 90mm lens that went for GBP435.
Ten or so days after the sale, the buyer had it up for sale again with a
reserve of GBP500. Given the amount of film cameras up for sale, I wonder if
we will have more speculative buyers, seeing a quick profit. I'm still left
with that nagging doubt that this way of buying an expensive item is fraught
with danger, from exchange of funds, the postal system (some eBay purchases
I have had were incredibly badly packed), to trusting your idea of good
condition is also the same as the seller.

Malcolm