On 22 Mar 2001, at 23:53, tom wrote:

> I guess there's two schools of thought on this in regards to short
> lenses. One says there's so much DOF that any small focusing errors will
> be covered. The other school says there's so much DOF it's hard to see
> exactly where to focus.

Hi Tom,

I own a CZ Hologon for the AF-G camera, it is the only non-AF lens in the
line-up and is scale focus only, it isn't coupled to the electronic RF although
you can take a distance reading from the G body. The lens is fixed at f8 I
have always just guessed the focus distance and I have never been
disappointed with my focus decisions and I am quite critical of myself :-) I
find the 16mm reasonable to focus and wonder how much an AF system
might hunt when using an ultra-wide in less than ideal conditions?

> This is true when you're doing close-ups. For normal photography with a
> macro lens, AF makes sense. In fact it's pretty cool in the case of the
> FA 50/2.8. I'm willing to bet that it's the fastest AF'ing lens in the
> lineup.

Sure, what I have noticed when using my Macro lenses at long focus
distances is that even though they are relatively slow compared to their non-
macro counterparts the focal plane sometimes seems more apparent than
when using faster lenses.

> What are you using to remap? I saw a Quicktime 5 demo a few weeks
> ago...instead of a cylinder model, it's a cube now. You can look up and
> down.

Check: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/fisheye_to_rectilinear.html

Cheers,

Rob Studdert