And still it is true that a 35mm on an APS sized sensor is not a 50mm but
the same 35mm with a too narrow lens shade on. All this is very true - no
need to proove it again - but it is of not much help to anybody.
It is the field of view that is of primary interest to most people when
chosing a lens. "What frame do I get?" is the question that is asked. And
the correct answer (in the case of an APS sized sensor) is "You will get
what you expect from a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera".
As it is a fact that we usually 'think' in focal lengths (and not in
format/FOV values) the '35mm equivalent' can serve wonderfully as a rule of
thumb with all the various sensor sizes. I don't see any other way and the
industry has more or less agreed on this. I also have a small digital P&S
and I don't even KNOW the exact focal length off hand, but it yields frames
at around a 35-70mm equivalent...

If we want to be of any help to people asking, then we should point out WHAT
differences there are (in real world terms) that make the 35 on the *ist D
act differently from a 50 on the ME Super.

As for Depth of field it would be worth pointing out that you loose about
one stop compared to what is printed on the lens (engraved ... on some
lenses). Or, in other words, you get one stop wider DOF compared to using a
50mm on a ME super.

But that's about all, isn't it?

Sven