From: Derby Chang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2003 8:42 PM
To: Pentax Discuss
Subject: Epson 3200 (was: New Scanner)

JC,

Sorry for the late response, but I've only just been catching up on PDML
mails since Nov.

Love the 3200. No big issues with it, scans beautifully. Only minor
quibbles:

* Wish the 120 film holder could do strips instead of one frame at a time.

* The Epson photoshop driver could be better. Can't scan at an arbitrary
resolution - I would like to do 2400dpi for small proof prints from neg
scans, but it only lets you do 1200 or 3200 (I can downsample in
photoshop, but then thats double much more work).  On the plus side, the
12-frames a scan is very useful for proofing. I've downloaded v1.25 of
the driver and there doesn't seem to be that much of a change. The
software dust removal now seems to work sort of, but is more trouble
than it's worth IMHO - some nasty artifacts pop up with detailed areas
like hair and specular highlights.

*Silverfast LE is pretty handy for serious scans, although it only seems
to do one scan at a time (but moving the marquee each scan is not _that_
much of a hass). Don't use the dust removal much in this either. The big
plus is that it has profiles for different neg types. Saves mucho time
colour balancing. Wish it could do 48-bit scans' tho.

* Wish it scanned to the edge of the glass, only because that would make
it easier to align things against the bezel.

I think I've saved its cost already just from not having to develop all
the "mucking around" rolls I've been shooting lately, as well as the
weekly 8x12s that I print at home instead of handing over to the labs. I
can't compare to a proper 4000dpi film scan, but it looks pretty good to
me compared to the wet prints I used to spend a fortune on.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~derbyc