On 27/12/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>> Is it possible to (easily) do/readjust white-balance out-of-camera? Here's
>> what I mean: I took some photos with the ist-D in the wrong white balance
>> setting (set for tungsten, but I was outdoors), and so everything is a
>> groovy tint of blue. I did this with film before (remember that stuff?...
>> gosh, I must be old... har) and spent an afternoon shifting the colors
>> manually in my favorite photo editor until it didn't look so bad and the
>> image was salvageable... but I'm wondering if there is simply a button or
>> something that I can press in, say, breezebrowser or photoshop or
>> something of the sort.

I use Curves in Photoshop (on camera original jpegs) and have not been
defeated yet. I use ballpark settings on the camera 3200, 4000, 5600,
7000 to cover most ambient light. The only extremes beyond these are
sodium discharge lamps (about 2600 or even lower - horrible things) and
shadows on a drizzly day at sunset. I find Photoshop does a very good
job. I tend to like my faces a bit warmer on the whole so sometimes I'll
balance for half-blue (4000) when in mixed lighting but with daylight
lurking. Coming to digital stills from video WRT colour balance is easy
for me, but I understand how it can appear daunting for those considering
digital.

Mixed lighting is the worst, but I think it's better to have warm faces
than cold shadows. Stills with flash is great as it's already daylight
balanced. Film and TV lighting is generally tungsten balanced (I say
generally...it depends on things...you wouldn't use an HMI in close
quarters, eh) and so you'll usually see a blue gel (plastic transparent
film) over the front of TV lights either outdoors or inside anywhere near
windows.

HTH

PS - I'd still try the CF card next to the light bulb first....

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk