Herb,

I am not in conflict with this term, nor am I saying you can't use it any
way you want. There are some areas where one may generate some quiet
chuckles from older folks if one uses the word "dynamic" where it's not
appropriate, however. Toward the end of this post, I'll bring this back to
photography.

So far we have been talking primarily about equipment. This has been a
mistake. It's all to easy for us engineers to become too engrossed with the
equipment we are designing, using or buying, their specifications,
capabilities etc. We forget, or push back to another compartment of our
mind, the fact that this is all reproduction equipment. I'd say that this
happens in engineering texts too, but in fact, it's there, in the word
"dynamic" itself. I am saying that the music existed before the the record
player was invented, and Images worthy of being recorded existed before the
first camera, even before the first paint brush. Let's look at music first.
It's a reasonable analog to part of the process. We'll get back to cameras
shortly.

What qualities does music have? Well, there's a range of frequencies. That
would be bandwidth or frequency response. There's loudness, usually measured
in spl. Oh yes, and there is variation in the loudness. (There are, of
course many other qualities, but I'm not going to get into them here.) This
variation in loudness can sometimes be quite great. Ever listen to the "New
World Symphony (No. 9)", Dvorak? Well, this loudness range in the music is
called, ah... guess what? "Dynamic Range!" For an instrument, it's the range
of the softest to the loudest sound that can be produced by an instrument.
For a performance,  it's the difference in signal level between the loudest
and quietest parts of a performance. Note - this is important - the loudest
and quietest parts do not occur at the same time. The music is continually
changing throughout the performance! This is why it's called "dynamic"! From
the dictionary - "Of or relating to variation of intensity, as in musical
sound." Note the word variation. When loudness varies, the relation is to
time.  So variation with time is inherent in the word "dynamic." As to the
equipment, The specification for the amplifier is driven by the dynamic
range of the sound it must reproduce. So, a peice of electronic equipment
that is said to have a certain "dynamic range" has it because it must
reproduce or generate something else (music?) that actually has the property
of "dynamic range." I suppose it would be more accurate to say that the
equipment supports a dynamic range, but nobody's going to use all those
words.

This is consistant with every other area of engineering wherein the words
"dynamic" or "dynamics" is used. When you were studying engineering, you
most likely took courses in "Statics and Dynamics" I still have my old
texts. What was the difference? Ah, Dynamics included objects that moved
(had velocity) and had other properties measured per unit time!

Now, on to digital photography. The scene before us is usually dynamic. Even
if it's the Rocky Mountains, the light is changing. Even if it isn't
changing, (studio still life) we use the camera  for different scenes and
switching from one scene to another or moving from one view point to another
produces the dynamics of range. Since the scene is dynamic, each sensor must
be capable of measureing an acceptable range of light and it must be able to
react to changes in level as we frame, focus and as lighting changes. The
problem presented to the sensor is dynamic and the sensor must possess the
dynamic range to to follow the scene. Once we "snap" the "shutter", All
becomes static. Nothing of the recorded scene moves again. From pixel to
pixel, there is change, perhaps great variation, but it's static, not
moving. The variation is over space, not time. Now, initially, the scene is
recorded in a fashion that could accommodate variation over time (raw), but
it's not changing - static. We can convert it to a jpeg. This removes even
the capability to accommodate variation over time. Now it's not only static,
it doesn't even have the capability to be dynamic. In order to modify the
image it must be converted back to a raw format.

If you want dynamic range in your recorded images, get a video or motion
picture camera.

Anyway, that's my opinion, derived from... history.

Regards,
Bob...
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease
was already taken.

From: "Herb Chong" [EMAIL PROTECTED]