On 1/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>I think a 20 stop filter would be dangerous to use for solar photgraphy.
>It might block 20 stops of visible light, but let through enough other
>wavelengths to fry your eye through the viewfinder. Even if you can't see
>the sun at all.
>
>I would strongly discourage anyone from using any filter for solar
>photography unless the filter is explicitly designed as a *solar* filter,
>not just a very dark filter.

Peter is spot-on here. Couldn't endorse those words enough.

I would only ever point a lens at the sun while using my own eye to frame
it up *if it was an electronic ( non-optical) viewfinder* - and only then
if it wasn't mine.

I routinely get shots if the sun (setting/rising/high noon) for whatever
story requirement demands it using 25 grand's worth (£) of Sony Betacam
that belongs to the company I work for. No way would I do that if it was mine.

If the 3 CCDs melt or whatever, it gets repaired by a very nice man with
elbow-patches and tweakers in his breast pocket :-)

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__
Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk