Forgive me for being dense, but it seems to me that you cannot tell whether he
is using trailing curtain or not, because he's panning at the time hew's
releasing the shutter.  I will explain why I think this, then you can educate
me as to how I'm wrong.

The relative motion that's important in establishing the direction of the blur
is that of the  car in the viewfinder (or, more precisely, on the film) during
the period the shutter is open.  If the lens is panning forward faster than the
car is moving, such that the car appears to be moving backwards in the
viewfinder (or on the film) at the time of the exposure, trailing curtain sync
will look like leading curtain sync.  The only way to tell for sure is to have
the lens stationary and the object moving, or to know somehow that the car was
actually moving forward at a greater rate than the lens was tracking it.

If the lens is stationary, such that the car is certain to be moving from right
to left in the viewfinder at the time the shot is fired, then the blur will
reliably indicate whether leading or trailing curtain sync was used.

OK, where have I misapprehended the physics of all this?