Hi,

I've determined that I'll comment on each entry this month. I'll likely do it 1/2 dozen or so at a time, over the course of the next day or so. So, in order of appearance, here goes:

"Mushu" by Robert Gonzalez:

I like this tight shot very much. Really emphasizes the different patterns and textures of the animals scales. It almost takes on an abstract feel. I also like the tail, or back part of it's body, or whatever it is, out of focus on the upper right. Very nice work!

"Nemo" by Christian Skofteland:

Amazing colours, beautiful composition! A real winner. Putting the fish over to the right looks nice enough in it's own right, but that also gives all those pink tentacles (or whatever they are) full view. Love the fade of pink to blue, and the yellow of the fish contrasts so nicely with those other colours. Thanks, Christian. Love it!

"Unidentified Marine Anemones" by Herb Chong:

I hate to be negative, Herb, but I also have to be honest: this shot doesn't do too much for me. Not that it's a bad shot, it just doesn't jump out and scream "look at me!" like so many of the other shots in this month's gallery do. The colours are a bit dull, and it really doesn't seem sharp enough in the right places for me; it seems that the camera or the focuser chose the middle of the frame to focus on, and there just isn't much interesting there to look at. I'd have preferred the big clump on the left to be sharper. OTOH, composition is good. I like the "weight" of the photo on the left, especially tilted 45 degrees like that. I like the dark on the upper right; it balances the yellow nicely. Nice bokeh. I wonder if the yellow background of the page doesn't do this image some injustice. Now if it were on a dark blue background, that might bring out the yellow a bit more, and make all the difference. A competent shot.

"Watch" by Alin Flaider:

I quite like this one. Vibrant colours, especially the green of the lizard (salamander?). Tack sharp subject. Lovely bokeh, wonderful composition, especially the placement of that out of focus branch to the right of the animal - except (sorry there has to be an "except" <g>), I find that bright green leaf in front of the lizard distracting. Normally, I'd think something out of focus in the foreground would be nice, give the shot even more depth than it has. But, it's ~where~ that leaf is, right in front of the lizard. It rather detracts from the subject, I think. But, overall, a very strong photograph. Thanks.

"Frog in the Mist", by E.R.N. Reed:

I know you were going for a "misty" look, Eleanor, but I find it not overly pleasing. It's like getting mist on my glasses, and having trouble seeing (maybe that's why I don't like the effect <g>). So maybe it's just me. Otherwise, a wonderful shot. Great composition, the frog and leaf in the background play off each other nicely. Love that big out of focus leave in the background - lovely! It looks like it was shot in the wild - very natural look.

"Walking on a Strange Animal" by Gianfranco Irlanda:

Another wonderful, serendipitous "capturing that fleeting moment" shot, Gianfranco. Crisp focus, nice bokeh, terrific lighting from the side. Especially with that title, a very humourous shot - you're taking us into the moth's world for a moment. Two peripheral thoughts: I wonder what passersby must have thought ("why is that man taking a photo of that woman's feet?"), and, thank goodness that Veronica believes in foot hygene! <vbg> Thanks for the photo.

"Dulce Nector" by Alejandro Bertini:

Very good composition, great timing to get the bee just at the moment that it alights on the flower. Nice, bright colours. Seems to me, though, that these kinds of shots really need sharp focusing, and the insect and the flower just aren't crisp enough (keep in mind, this comment is from a guy who has some of the least sharp images on PUG you'll likely see <g>). Also, I find the bokeh is not to my liking, kind of harsh. I looked at the lens you used, and I'm guessing that's why, so there's not much you could do about that. The photo is a good idea, good anticipation.

"Butterfly - Lake Martin, Louisiana" by Mark Stringer:

A 300mm handheld out the window of a truck? Okay, I'll forgive you for not being Marc-Cassino-sharp on that one. <vbg> That's really about the only criticism I can make on this shot, though, and even then, sharpness isn't that bad. I love the swath of bright yellow flowers going from the bottom left to upper right, along with the unopened buds on the upper left. Usually putting the subject right in the middle is a no-no, but it works very well, here, proving that sometimes breaking the rules works! Nice capture, Mark!

That's it for now. More later.

cheers,
frank

Check your PC for viruses with the FREE McAfee online computer scan. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963