Not necessarily ... it might be a flattering portrait but still fail as a photograph
on other grounds.  Example: one of my earliest
photos was of a young, blonde child in her mother's arms.  It still moves me to this
day.  But it was a failure on so many technical
grounds ... way over exposed, slightly out of focus, poor printing and darkroom
technique.  Yet, while the photo did flatter the child,
it is one that I'd "condemn" on technical grounds, and it is one that I've never shown
publicly.