I've been getting up to 3 viruses a day in email these days.  I'd vote for
the virus infection too.  I just recently went back to win 2000 on my laptop
and main system for the purposes of large picture file editing.  2000 runs
much faster then XP to my notion.  I did have several glitches, but most of
them were removed by installing all the updates.  Networking is much faster
and glitchless when using 2 win 2000 based machines together as well.
Another adantage to my notion that may be of assistance to you is the IE 6
repair function.  Simply go to control panel/add-remove software/ Microsoft
Internet Explorer 6 SP 1.  Click the change/remove button and you will get
options to downgrade to IE 5 or repair IE 6.

Win 2000 is a bit more difficult to repair then some operating systems, but
worth it IMHO.  Suggest going to Microsoft Knowledge base and google doing
searchs for the problems your having.  Using the event viewer to see errors
happening is very important.  I usually get the text for my searches there.
You can get there from Control Panel/administrative tools/event viewer.  You
can use the Services menu to trouble shoot problems as well stopping
operations currently running to isolate problems.  There are some services
you will not want to mess with, so you should do a search for the critical
win 2000 services before doing this.  I can't remember which ones are a
problem right off the top of my head.  You can also use "regedit" with the
run command to change registry settings.  BE CAREFUL HERE!!!  Go to
HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run    Here
you can see programs starting that may not be in the services menu.  By
simply selecting a key and choosing modify, you can disable that key by
putting the letters "rem" in front of the key.  This way the key is not
deleted, but is still disabled for trouble shooting reasons.  You can also
go to the start menu and make a folder called "disabled startup items"  Go
into the startup folder can cut and paste anything you do not want running
into this folder.  To reenable simply cut and paste back into the startup
folder.

Check out all your running processes one at a time.  Verify that these are
not viruses.  When you get to the point that no errors are showing in the
events your system should be running seemlessly.

Hope that might help.

Dave