Rob,

I recently bought my wife a Pentax DCF 8*42 HRII.  They are considerably less
expensive than the DCF 8*43 SP and waterproof too.  Close focus is the only apparent
difference.  See the Pentax USA site to compare 3 models side by side.

I really like the brightness of the binoculars.  The 8*42/43 and 10*50's are great on
brightness and long eye relief for eye-glasses wearers.

Regards,  Bob S.