I always shot print film so I'm the wrong guy to ask.  For print film,
you worry more about shadow detail since there are features of the
development process the inhibits the highlights from washing out. For
slides, you worry more about, i.e., expose for, the highlights. I
happened to remember that you had asked about slide film so my comments
were aimed that way.

One easy way to view all this is that for slides the number of stops to
go from very white to very back is about 5.  This is called the latitude
of the film.  A simple meter will try to make the entire picture average
to middle gray.  If you were to base your exposure purely on the white
duck (get really close so the white feathers filled the viewfinder) the
duck would come out gray and the rest of the picture would be too dark.
Green grass is often a good source of middle gray for most lighting, so
you could meter on that and just accept the exposure.  A safer this to
do (to protect the highlights) it to meter on the white feathers and
open up a stop or two depending on how white you want those feathers to
come out.

Of course, I'm explaining this to you in front of a lot of people who
probably understand it better than I do.  Print film has a wider
latitude (more stops form black to white) so you don't have to be as
careful.  Digital is a lot like slide, so I have to think more about
that now.  Which is why I look a lot at the histograms. . .