Not being a PC person, I visited Google.
They said, in defining a ".pif" file:

        Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that
        holds information about how Windows should run a
        non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can
        contain instructions for executing a DOS application in
        the Windows environment. These instructions can
        include the amount of memory to use, the path to the
        executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF
        files have a .pif extension .

mapson wrote:

> >Oh my GOD Robert, I just opened a PIF file - and guess what happened ?!?!?
> >

> >Cheers,
> >   Cotty
>
> I don't know :o)
>
> You won a million dollars?
>
> I do not claim that you can avoid ALL viruses but often they follow a
> pattern. PIFs are good give-away it might be a virus.

Since this is a Windows "how to work" file, why is it necessarily
associated with virii?
I know I'm missing something here, but it has always seemed to me that a
.pif file, by itself, is not an indicator of the presence of a virus.
Are .pif files carriers of viruses? What?

keith