I always carry my Kodak Master Photoguide. A 4x5" booklet of invaluable
information and nearly indestructible!
The one I'm looking at now was released in 1966. Shows Kodak Super-XX
Pan as being rated ASA 200.
However, based on your certainty, I hied back to my copy of The Retina
Way, published 1953.
It says Super-XX pan as being rated at B.S.I. Daylight 31°, which works
out to ASA 100, approximately.
Somewhere in between 1953 (Korean war period) and 1966, the speed was doubled.
I interpret "back then" as being 1953, when DDD took all his photos, and
it was indeed ASA 100!

So, he didn't follow any "Sunny. . ." anything. ASA 100, speed 200,
aperture f/11.0. EV 15. A dead center exposure for hazy or bright sun,
lotsa latitude.

graywolf wrote:

> Not even that Keith, as Super-XX was rated 100ASA back then. Those were the days
> before they removed the "safety factor" from the rating back in 1959.
>
> The removal of that safety factor is why I always recommend using Sunny F/11
> nowadays. Interestingly, all the amateur films had the film indexs doubled in
> 1959, while Plus-X Pro and Tri-X Pro had them raised from 80 to 125, and 200 to
> 320 respectively. Whatever the difference now, back then the only difference
> between the pro films and the amateur films was the pro films had a retouching
> surface on the base side. Everyone nowadays claims they are completely different
> emulsions, I doubt that though.
>
> My little Kodak Pocket Photoguides one from 2001 and the other from 1956 clearly
> show the difference in ASA ratings though it shows the current Plus-X as being
> 125 for both versions. There were no changes made to the film in 1959, just a
> rerating of the same emulsions.
>
> I had recommended that little Kodak Pocket Photoguide here on the list quite
> awhile back, and several folks had indicated they had gotten one. Tells you all
> kinds of things about day to day photography we often have problems remembering.
> There is a niffy Daylight Exposure Dial in it in case you for get your meter or
> it goes on the blink. It also has a dial that recommends exposures for all thos
> things folks are always asking about on the list like fireworks and lightning as
> well as the more humdrum interior shots. It is a handy thing to have in the
> gadget bag. A $15 substitute for a $200 exposure meter.
>
> --

I agree. I wouldn't want to try to get along without mine.  <g>
I usually have my old Sekonic Studio selenium meter with me, as well,
somewhere in my kit.
No batteries needed for either one - just a working brain. A serious
enough requirement by itself!

keith