The only multiple list setup that I have seen that really works well is
PNN.  The secret of their success is very diligent moderation.  Any
infraction can result in you being placed into "read only" mode, or
worse.  No over quoting, no flames, no bad language, and no off-topic
posting. When the moderator says a thread is closed, it's closed. I only
see a few folks here that could live with those rules.  I've been
banished to read only mode on a few occasions, myself, and I think have
fairly good netiquette.  Of course, I've been wrong before...

I can't see that happening here anytime in the foreseeable future.

As to people dropping out to start their own list, I've seen that happen
many times. Usually with hard feelings all around.

We could all use some lessons in manners from time to time but I think
that the best way to go is to let your conscience be your guide and, if
all else fails, use the delete key and kill file to your heart's
content.  As a last resort, you can always go to stealth (lurker) mode
until you cool down.

Len
 * There's no place like 127.0.0.1