On 28/1/04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>I don't know, they seem to be selling quite a few *ist-D's in spite of:
>
>1.) The lack of aperture simulator, (yes that has been partially addressed
>which makes it more likely I'll buy one in the near future).
>
>2.) Lack of advertising, at least compared to the Canon and Nikon offerings.
>
>3.) Really silly name.
>
>4.) Lack of Cachet compared to, well compared to, just about everyone left
>in the camera manufacturing business.
>
>5.) The Canon Digital Rebel selling for roughly 2/3rd's it's price.
>
>So who knows, some of us die hards will insist upon doing just that.

Actually, this scenario now is pretty good territory for Pentax to pull a
cunning stunt. If there really is a Baby D in the pipeline, PMA would be
an excellent opportunity to announce it. Nikon's Baby D will be hyped up,
but that will be the only competition (the new 1D being in a different arena).

If Pentax can offer a foolproof Baby D for 300D money, and make it look
nice and small, with easy handling - could be a real nice rabbit out of
the hat....

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__