----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanya & Russell Mayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax Discussion List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: March 27, 2001 6:25 PM
Subject: Subject: Re: Cokin filters

> On  Tue, 27 Mar 2001 13:20:57 -0800, Bob Blakely wrote;
>
> "Cokin filters suck canal water. Compared to even a cheap,
screw in glass
> filter, they are
> sharpness reducing, contrast destroying, dispersion generating
flair
> intensifiers."
>
> So what filters do yo prefer then, Bob?  And which filters do
others on the
> list prefer? And why do you prefer them?

Pentax SMC filters are excellent, I suppose in theory, they
should be the best filters for the Pentax lenses they are
contemporaneous with.
They seem badly marketed where I live.
However, I can get B+W filters easily, and they are superb also.
They come in two price categories now, one with brass mounts,
one with aluminium mounts. I don't know if the glass or coatings
are different. I prefer the brass ones because they don't jam
themselves onto the lenses.
I have had quite good luck with Tiffen filters, though when I
think about it, all my Tiffens are diffusers, so it is hard to
know if they are degrading the image <g>.
I tend to not use filters if I don't think I need one. I don't
have a UV filter parked on every lens that I own. I have a few
very good UV filters in my bag, and if I think I should have one
on the lens, it goes on. Any filter is two more air/glass
interfaces, and can cause optical problems.
William Robb